Even if you know who’s at fault for your accident, you might not sue right away. While there are time limits to bringing a lawsuit, it can also take time to put a case together. And there are some things you can do in between your accident and filing your lawsuit that can be crucial for your injury claim.
Here are the best ways to prepare for your personal injury lawsuit:
1. 3 Mistakes That Can Ruin Your Car Accident Lawsuit
Sometimes the right thing to do is to not do something wrong. Like fibbing about what happened, getting carried away on social media, or forgetting about the statute of limitations (or not knowing what that is).
2. 5 Things to Consider When Suing a Restaurant
You don’t want to file a frivolous claim, and you don’t want to file before doing some homework. You’ll need to know exactly who to file you claim against and you might need a good idea about what specifically caused your injuries.
3. 7 Tips When Suing a Retail Store for Injuries
Every lawsuit is unique, and every defendant is different. So suing a store — over a bad product, a slip-and-fall, or to enforce a warranty — isn’t the same as suing over a car accident or food poisoning.
4. 5 Things You Should Bring to a Personal Injury Consultation
If you’re filing a lawsuit you’ll want the help of a lawyer, and in order to hire one you’ll have to brief him or her on your case. Know what information and evidence they’ll need.
5. 7 Tips to Help Prepare for Your Deposition
A deposition is like a pre-trial interview, only anything you say can be used during the trial. The stakes are high, so make sure you’re well prepared.
6. Top 7 Tips for Settlement Talks
Not every case makes it to trial, and some sides will want to talk about a settlement even before a claim is filed. Think of it as a less combative way to get compensated for your injuries.
7. Choosing the Right Personal Injury Lawyer
This is the biggest thing you can do right for your lawsuit. Find an advocate whom you trust and who is competent in the field of your injury.
If you’ve been injured and are thinking of filing a personal injury lawsuit, consulting with an experienced attorney about your case should be your first step.
- Hurt by a product or accident? Get your claim reviewed for free. (Consumer Injury)
- How Do Free Consultations Work in Personal Injury Cases? (FindLaw’s Injured)
- 3 Tips to Prepare for a Car Accident Claim (FindLaw’s Injured)
- 7 Tips to Prepare for Your Injury Lawsuit (FindLaw’s Injured)